Idukki is one of the 14 districts created on 26 January 1972 in kerala. Idukki lies in the Western Ghats of Kerala make beauty of nature have more tourist attraction. Idukki is the second largest district in area but has the lowest population density. The district has a vast forest reserve area consist more than a half of the district is covered by forests. The urban areas are densely populated education and infrastructure are better treated. Idukki is also known as the spice garden of Kerala. Agriculture is the main sorce of economical balance.
Main tourist places in idukki
- Munnar is a town which is surrounded by three mountains Muthirappuzha, Nallathanni and Kundala
- the town is about 5000 feet above from sea level.
- Munnar is one of the most visited tourist places and attractions in natural beauty.
- It contains many wildlife sanctuaries and scenic mountain ranges. The cool weather and other natural beauty make it a popular destination.
- It is in this district that the Eravikulam National Park and the Anamudi are located. Munnar is one of the most prominent tourist places in the Western Jungle.
- It is one of the largest tea plantations in the world.
- This hill station provides option of trekking, paragliding or rock climbing for adventurous seekers.
- The vagomon also known as most famous film location in kerala. The place has many variety of flora and fauna located in various parts of hilly region.
- Evergreen trees tall grasses and shrubs are present in the lower regions of Vagamon.So the beautiful location are welcomed to visit this palace
- Many rare species of birds, insects, wild buffaloes and elephants can be easily located in the forests.
The main attractions here are mist-covered mountains and lakes